Spicy Eggplant Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 long Chinese eggplants, cubed (I went to Safeway and could only find the plump regular kind, so I went with that)
- 1 onion chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- Any other veggies you want
- 4 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 green chili pepper (as spicy as you desire), finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili oil (you can substitute chili sauce, red pepper flakes, etc for some heat)
- Salt to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add minced garlic and other veggies and saute until cooked--the eggplant will become tender and start to brown in 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, red wine vinegar, chili pepper, sugar, corn starch and chili oil.
- Add sauce to the stir fry, stir to coat evenly and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice.
*The sauce originally called for 1/3 the amounts shown here, but all of the comments said to make more sauce; I doubled it, and then found I needed even more.