I've been meaning to post recipes over the last couple of months, but I've been quite busy--managing a business, moving apartments, going to my brother's wedding and such. I've been nearly too busy to cook, but still I find a way. Somehow. It's good stress relief to do something you enjoy---which for me is definitely the cooking, but especially the eating!
Mark and I made this awhile ago. I really wanted to make something with orzo, and I was interested in cooking with fennel---two ingredients I've never used. I cobbled some recipes from Gourmet together and came up with this tasty dish! Super easy and satisfying comfort food.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds
- Sautee onion and fennel bulb in olive oil with fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Cook 8-10 minutes, until onions and fennel have softened.
- Meanwhile, boil orzo to package directions, making sure to keep it al dente.
- Stir cooked orzo into fennel mixture. Let stand, covered, for a few minutes off the heat. Sprinkle with fennel fronds and top with shrimp (or whatever else you fancy).