About a month ago, I decided to make my own trail mix. I kept my eye on nuts and dried fruit every time I went to a grocery store, looking for good deals. I slowly accumulated the ingredients I wanted to use and finally got everything together to make it today.
I started with raw almonds from the Chico's Farmer's Market, raw pecans and roasted cashews from Costco, and dried blueberries and dried cherries from Trader Joe's. I just roasted my raw nuts, then tossed everything together for a filling, portable snack. I even pre-packed some so that I can throw this in my purse to nibble on when I'm running errands.
Fruit and Nut Trail Mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 3/4 dried blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries, roughly chopped
- If your nuts are already roasted, you can skip this step. If your nuts are raw: preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, drizzle nuts with olive oil and toss to coat. (I used 1 tablespoon of oil for 4 cups of nuts.) Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Cool on sheet.
- In a large bow, mix together fruit and nuts. Taste to see if you want to add more of any ingredient for a different taste or texture combination. Enjoy!